Author Topic: Young Men's Team  (Read 1999 times)

Freewill

Young Men's Team
« on: February 14, 2011, 11:19:48 AM »
Has anyone started a boys (aka young men's) team? I know there are several jr women's teams. I'm wondering if anyone has had success starting a young men's team for middle and/or high school ages.

Under Achiever

Re: Young Men's Team
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 02:15:09 PM »
Well Midwest Mayhem started a jr derby league a few months ago and it was coed for awhile.  But, the parents of the girls didn't want the boys playing with them so they were kicked out.  I've been estranged to MWM since they became womens only so I don't know all the details.  Im sure there weren't that meny boys on the team though.

Stylz

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 02:55:21 PM »
Quote from: "Freewill"
Has anyone started a boys (aka young men's) team? I know there are several jr women's teams. I'm wondering if anyone has had success starting a young men's team for middle and/or high school ages.

I say don't worry about if others have had success ... you go and have it!

I think this is a tremendous idea and that the derby community as a whole will happily support it! What better way to facilitate the forward movement of our sport ... start training them early!

I can't think of a better way to have a positive and progressive impact on the future of and overall skill level within this awesomeness we call Derby :)

Go forth and make it happen!

Offline Chrome-A-Tose

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 10:23:11 AM »
We have considered starting one in Indy.  We have 8-10 boys that are children of skaters already.  Where is MWM?

Offline JoeXCore

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 10:15:01 PM »
The Black-n-Bluegrass Roller Girls are recruiting children for a juniors team (maybe 2?). I just saw the flier, they're looking for girls AND BOYS! Woo Hoo!

Offline Girl Fawkes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 01:45:46 AM »
CT Death Quads are running junior boot camps with the CT RollerGirls and we've had a couple little dudes!
CT Death Quads, Bench Manager
MRDA, Treasurer

Offline l8rsk8r

• View Profile
  • SkypeID: james.litvak
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 04:40:03 PM »
The Mini*Gs from Gastonia Roller Derby Club (Gastonia, NC) have boys, as well as Quad Fusion Junior Roller Derby (Kernersville, NC) and Richland County Renegades (Columbia, NC).
L8R SK8R  #88
Carolina Wreckingballs

Offline BiffQuick

• MRDA Vice President
    • View Profile
    • Rock City Riot
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 09:18:25 PM »
The Valley Roller Rascals of Fargo, ND are co-ed for ages 3-18. Pretty even mix between boys and girls on the league.
Eric Harris aka Biff Quick #1337
MRDA Vice President
Treasurer, Rock City Riot
http://www.rockcityriot.com

Offline Jonathan R

• View Profile
    • http://www.nyshockexchange.com
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 10:43:08 AM »
Great to hear about these junior clubs!
Jonathan R
MRDA Director of Games